The GeoIP database isn’t downloading and when I force a download through the settings page I get the following error: “Error downloading GeoIP database from: http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLite2-Country.mmdb.gz – Forbidden”
This means that MaxMind has block the IP address of your webserver, this is often the case if it has been blacklisted in the past due to abuse.
You have two options:
- Contact MaxMind and have them unblock your IP address
- Manually download the database
To manually download the database and install it take the following steps:
- On another system (any PC will do) download the maxmind database from
- Decompress the database
- Connect to your web host and create a “wp-statistics” directory in your wordpress uploads folder (usually it is located in wp-content, so you would create a directory “wp-content/uploads/wp-statistics”).
- Upload the GeoLite-Country.mmdb file to the folder you just created.
You can also ask MaxMind to unblock your host. Note that automatic updates will not function until you can successfully download the database from your web server.